The course offers a combination of ashore theory and practical on-the-water sessions to prepare you with the skills to sail confidently.
OBJECTIVE: This course is designed to teach the basic skills and knowledge required to helm and/or crew on a sailboat of up to 30 feet in length. Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to sail safely and efficiently, under sail or power, in moderate wind and sea conditions.
28 Hour Format:
- Offered in Ottawa on weekdays, weekends or evenings
- Offered in Kingston on weekends and evenings
- Maximum of four students per boat
- Courses taught aboard our 22 – 24 foot keelboats: Tanzer, Sonar, or Shark
- Minimum of 2 students required for each course. Semi-private courses are taught in 21 hours
- Offered in Kingston (summer season) or Caribbean (winter season)
- Kingston location offered as a continuous 5 day program while Caribbean program is 7 days
- Maximum of four students
- Kingston courses are taught aboard a 30 foot sailboat and 39 – 45 foot boats are used in the Caribbean
* Quelques uns de ces cours sont aussi offerts en français. Communiquez avec nous pour obtenir plus de détails.
OPTIONS: Weekends, Weekday, Evenings, Women’s only, and Live-Aboard.
Ottawa: $695.00 + HST – 28 Hour Format, offered in Ottawa and Kingston – View Schedule
Kingston: $1,095.00 + HST * Provisioning extra at cost – Live-Aboard offered only in Kingston – View Schedule
Our courses include:
- Sail Canada Basic Cruising Certification
- PCOC Certification ($75 value)
- Sail Canada Annual Registration ($20.50 value)
- Membership to two sailing clubs in Ottawa ($450 value)
- 2 Complimentary “Grad Sails” on members’ private books
- Extra classroom, theory review night
Sail Canada Basic Cruising Standard & Pleasure Craft Operators Card
Get Started Now!
- Review the course schedule to find a class that suits your needs.
- Register by adding your course choice to your shopping cart and proceeding to the checkout or calling the office at 613-721-8683.
- Take the on water course.
- Complete your certification by taking the final exam.
- Discover your sailing options once you complete Basic Cruising.