Start learning your sailing skills at home now!
Who should take our Sailing Theory courses?
- “Wannabe” Sailors
- New Sailors
- Boat Owners
BASIC KEELBOAT THEORY (Sail Canada)
A perfect course for:
- A new sailor who wants to learn some of the basics of sailing
- A future Sail Canada Basic Cruising Student
- A boat owner who has never taken a sailing course but wants to “fill in the gaps” in their sailing knowledge
- A sailor who has completed their Sail Canada Basic Cruising course but would like a refresher on the theory component of the skills they learned
Topics covered include boat & sailing terminology, points of sail, required and recommended safety equipments, boating & sailing rules of the road, anchoring, docking techniques, reading marine charts, navigation buoys, knots, handling emergencies and more!
THEORYBC1: Jan 20 – Feb 17, 2021; Wednesday evenings from 7 – 8:30 PM
THEORYBC2: Feb 24 – Mar 24, 2021; Wednesday evening from 7 – 8:30 PM
THEORYBC3: March 31 – Apr 28, 2021: Wednesday evening from 7 – 8:30 PM
FEE: $125.00 + HST. (includes PDF learning materials, exam written locally @ BYC)
NOTE: A credit of $50 will be applied to those taking this course who then go on to take the Basic Cruising Afloat on-the-water course with Advantage Boating in Ottawa or the Caribbean in 2021 or 2022.
INTERMEDIATE KEELBOAT THEORY (Sail Canada)
A perfect course for:
- A future Sail Canada Intermediate Cruising student
- A boat owner or sailor who wants a better understanding of the various systems on a boat.
- A sailor who has completed their Sail Canada Intermediate Cruising course but would like a refresher on the theory component of the skills they learned.
- A sailor looking to prepare for chartering a sailboat
Topics covered include passage planning for a longer sailing trip (water, fuel, power, equipment), living afloat considerations, safety checks for longer voyages, boat systems including engine, marine head, electrical and boat heating, battery power maintenance, crew overboard recovery techniques, limitation of different types of ropes, handling on-board emergency situations, customs & procedures for sailing between international boarders and more!
INSTRUCTOR: Diane Reid (Sail Canada, IYT and World Sailing Instructor)
THEORYIN1: Jan 21 – Feb 18, 2021; 5 Thursday afternoons from 1:00 – 4:00 PM
THEORYIN2: Mar 11 – Apr 8, 2021; 5 Thursday evenings from 6:30 – 9:30 PM
NEW SESSION ADDED!!!
THEORYIN3: Feb 27 – Apr 3, 2021; 5 Saturdays (Feb 27 0900-1200, Mar 6, 0900-1200, Mar 13, 0900-1200, Mar 20, 1300-1600, Apr 3 0900-1200)
FEE: $335 + HST (includes chart, PDF of course materials & the intermediate cruising exam)
NOTE: Limit of 8 students per class. A credit of $100 will be applied to those taking this course who then go on to take the Intermediate Cruising on-the-water course with Advantage Boating in Kingston, Ontario or the Caribbean in 2021 or 2022.