Start learning your sailing skills at home now!
Who should take our Sailing Theory courses?
- “Wannabe” Sailors
- New Sailors
- Boat Owners
- Existing sailors looking for a refresher
BASIC KEELBOAT THEORY (Sail Canada)
A perfect course for:
- A new sailor who wants to learn some of the basics of sailing
- A future Sail Canada Basic Cruising Student
- A boat owner who has never taken a sailing course but wants to “fill in the gaps” in their sailing knowledge
- A sailor who has completed their Sail Canada Basic Cruising course but would like a refresher on the theory component of the skills they learned
Topics covered include boat & sailing terminology, points of sail, required and recommended safety equipment, boating & sailing rules of the road, anchoring, docking techniques, reading marine charts, navigation buoys, knots, handling emergencies and more!
THEORYBC1: Jan 2 – 30, 2023; Monday evenings from 7:00 – 8:30 PM
THEORYBC2: Feb 6 – Mar 6, 2023; Monday evening from 7:00 – 8:30 PM
THEORYBC3: Mar 13 – Apr 10, 2023; Monday evenings from 7:00 – 8:30 PM
THEORYBC4: Apr 17 – May 15, 2023: Monday evenings from 7:00 – 8:30 PM
FEE: $160.00 + HST. (includes PDF learning materials, exam written locally @ BYC)
INTERMEDIATE KEELBOAT THEORY (Sail Canada)
A perfect course for:
- A future Sail Canada Intermediate Cruising student
- A boat owner or sailor who wants a better understanding of the various systems on a boat.
- A sailor who has completed their Sail Canada Intermediate Cruising course but would like a refresher on the theory component of the skills they learned.
- A sailor looking to prepare for chartering a sailboat
Topics covered include passage planning for a longer sailing trip (water, fuel, power, equipment), living afloat considerations, safety checks for longer voyages, boat systems including engine, marine head, electrical and boat heating, battery power maintenance, crew overboard recovery techniques, limitation of different types of ropes, handling on-board emergency situations, customs & procedures for sailing between international boarders and more!
INSTRUCTOR: Diane Reid (Sail Canada, IYT and World Sailing Instructor)
OPTIONS (Zoom course)
THEORYIN8: Monday/Thursday evenings from 6 – 9 PM, Dec 5, 8, 12, 16, 19, 2022 with exam (invigilated over Zoom) on January 5, 2023
THEORYIN1: Tuesday & Friday mornings from 9 AM – 12 PM, Jan 3, 6, 10, 13, 17 with exam (invigilated over zoom) on Jan 24, 2023
THEORYIN2: Tuesday mornings from 9 AM – 12 PM, March 21, 28, April 11, 18, 25 with exam (invigilated over zoom) on May 2, 2023
FEE: $350 + HST (includes chart, PDF of course materials & the intermediate cruising exam)
NOTE: Limit of 10 students per class.