Become the confident sailor you’ve always wanted to be with our hands-on learning approach in this Basic Cruising course. This internationally recognized course is taught by our nationally certified Sail Canada coaches. This course is perfect for the beginner sailor, for dinghy sailors looking to transfer their sailing skills to keelboats or for current sailors looking to refresh their sailing skills or attain their National certification.
OBJECTIVE: This course is designed to teach the basic skills and knowledge required to helm and/or crew on a sailboat of up to 30 feet in length. Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to sail safely and efficiently, under sail or power, in moderate wind and sea conditions.
Daytime, Weekend & Evening (Ottawa & Kingston) Format:
- Offered in Ottawa on weekdays, weekends or evenings
- Courses taught aboard our 22 – 24 foot keelboats: Tanzer, Sonar, or Shark
- Offered in Kingston weekdays
- Courses taught aboard our 30 foot keelboat
- 3 – 4 students per boat (4 days)
- Minimum of two students to run the course (course becomes a 3-day course)
- Offered in Kingston (summer season) or Caribbean (winter season)
- Kingston location offered as a continuous 4-5 day program while Caribbean program is 7 days
- Maximum of four students per boat
- Minimum of two students per boat (Kingston course becomes 4 day course)
- Kingston courses are taught aboard a 30 foot sailboat
- Maximum of four students per boat (course taught over 5 days)
- Minimum of two students per boat (course becomes a 4 day course)
- Caribbean courses are taught aboard a 38 – 45 foot sailboat over 7 days
- Maximum of four students / minimum of 3 students
Private, Semi-Private & Custom Schedule Options:
- Contact the office to arrange (firstname.lastname@example.org)
* Quelques uns de ces cours sont aussi offerts en français. Communiquez avec nous pour obtenir plus de détails.
PREREQUISITE: None, Physical Requirements.
OPTIONS: Weekends, Weekday Daytime, Weekday Evenings, and Live-Aboard.
FEE (Group lessons max 4 per boat):
- Daytime, Weekend & Evening (Ottawa): $785.00 + HST View Schedule
- Daytime (Kingston): $850 + HST (contact the office to schedule)
- Live-Aboard Kingston: $1249.00 + HST View Schedule (* Provisioning not included)
- Live-Aboard Caribbean: See our Caribbean Course Page
FEE (Private & Semi-Private):
- Ottawa (Semi-Private): $785 + HST (2 sailors; 3-days)
- Ottawa Private: $785 + HST (1 sailor; 2-days)
- Kingston Daytime (Semi-Private): $1059 + HST (2 sailors; 3-days)
- Kingston Daytime (Private): $1059 + HST (1 sailor; 2-days)
- Kingston Live-Aboard (Semi-Private): $1249 + HST (2 sailors; 4-days)
- Kingston Live-Aboard (Private): $2498 + HST (1 sailor; 4-days)
YES, we can also teach customs Private and Semi-Private schedules: Contact us to schedule @ email@example.com
Our courses includes:
- Sail Canada Basic Cruising Certification (upon successful completion)
- PCOC Certification ($75 value)
- Sail Canada Annual Registration
- Membership to two sailing clubs in Ottawa ($680 value) upon course registration
- Two complimentary “Grad Sails” on members’ private boats
- Access to online course learning materials upon registration
- Student hand-out package on the first day of your course
- Extra classroom session – “Theory” review night
- Basic Cruising Exam, Review & International Sail Canada Logbook
- “Live.Love.Sail” t-shirt after you write the exam (Value – Priceless!)
Get Started Now!
- Review the course schedule to find a class that suits your needs.
- Register by adding your course choice to your shopping cart and proceeding to the checkout or calling the office at 613-721-8683.
- Take the on water course.
- Complete your certification by taking the final exam.
- Next steps once you’ve completed your Basic Cruising (Skipper) certification.