It’s time to get your feet wet & discover sailing! This abbreviated version of the Basic Cruising course is perfect for those who have no prior sailing experience and wish to find and experience what sailing is all about. Bring your enthusiasm and be prepared to have fun! You’ll be surprised to see just how affordable sailing can be.
OBJECTIVE: In this course you will be introduced to the parts of a sailboat, how to rig a sailboat, the principals of how a sailboat moves through the water using the wind, local navigation, basic seamanship skills, boat handling under sail and power, docking and more. By the end of this course you will be able to act as crew to safely sail in familiar waters on a small sailboat in moderate wind and sea conditions by day.
14 Hour Format:
- Offered in Ottawa on weekdays, weekends or evenings
- Maximum of 4 students per boat
- Courses taught aboard our 22 – 24 foot keelboats: Tanzer, Sonar, or Shark
- Minimum of 3 students required for each course.
* Quelques uns de ces cours sont aussi offerts en français. Communiquez avec nous pour obtenir plus de détails.
PREREQUISITE: None; Physical Requirements.
OPTIONS: Weekends, Weekday, Evenings.
FEE: Ottawa (group lesson, 3-4 students): $425.00 + HST. View Schedule
Ottawa (semi-private): $499 + HST (call to schedule)
CERTIFICATION AWARDED: Sail Canada Start Keelboat Sailing Standard.
Get Started Now!
- Review the course schedule to find a class that suits your needs.
- Register by adding your course choice to your shopping cart and proceeding to the checkout or calling the office at 613-721-8683.
- Take the on water course and complete course handouts to obtain certification.
- Next Steps once you’ve completed your Start Keelboat Sailing course.