This program places emphasis on practical training in a live aboard format. Intermediate Cruising is highly recommended for people who are interested in chartering or owning a boat. Gain valuable experience while cruising to a different destination and enjoy a different anchorage each night. Continue to improve your sailing skills in a vacation-like setting!
OBJECTIVE: To be able to cruise safely in familiar waters as both skipper and crew of a sailing yacht of 8 – 12 meters in moderate wind and sea conditions by day. Emphasizes on-the-water skills at a level required for bareboat chartering.
PREREQUISITE: Sail Canada Basic Cruising Standard or equivalent certification, VHF Certificate, and Sail Canada Basic Coastal Navigation. Intermediate Cruising Theory & First Aid / CPR are strongly recommended.
OPTIONS & FEES:
- Kingston: Continuous day&night live-aboard course in the Kingston/Thousand Islands area. $1450 + HST (per person; includes textbook)
- Taught over 6 days / 5 nights for 3 – 4 students
- With 2 students, course becomes a Semi-private course and is taught over 4 days / 3 nights
- Kingston weekend challenge: Challenge for your Intermediate Cruising certification over 48 hours. Continuous 3 day / 2 night weekend course in the Kingston/Thousand Islands area. $890 + HST (please contact the office at 613-721-8683 to arrange; minimum 3 students)
NOTE: If you already have extensive live-aboard sailing experience but would like to attain certification to back-up your experience then the intensive weekend Intermediate Cruising challenge is the format for you
- Caribbean – Seven days in the Caribbean during the winter months. Fee varies depending on Caribbean location (Visit our Sailing Vacation for up to date information).
CARIBBEAN COURSES: If you are interested taking your Intermediate Cruising course this winter in the Caribbean, please send us an e-mail and we will reach out to you with additional information as it becomes available.
NOTE: Our Kingston courses requires a minimum of three students to run (3 single sailors, 2 couples or 1 couple & 2 single). Provisions are not included. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
FAQ: Can my partner/friend do their Basic Cruising certification at the same time I do my Intermediate Cruising certification: We discourage this scenario unless all parties on board have agreed. The Basic and Intermediate Cruising standards have very different performance objectives. It is important to us that our students receive the best possible value and experience during their course with us. Although we prefer to teach the Basic and Intermediate standards as independent courses we can arrange individualized custom courses on request to accommodate friends, families or partners who are looking sail together and are working towards different certification levels.
INTERMEDIATE CRUISING ADD ON:
IYT ICC and Bareboat certifications can be added on to your intermediate cruising course. IYT learning materials will be provided before your course. The afloat assessment will be conducted during your intermediate course however an additional written test will be required. *Additional costs apply.
CERTIFICATION(S) AWARDED: Sail Canada Intermediate Cruising (Skipper) Standard or Sail Canada Intermediate Cruising (Crew) Standard. Optional: IYT ICC & International Bareboat Skipper certifications.